looking for fraggles and doozers
i let benoit read my fraggle rock essay, even if he said he wasn't sure that he ever saw it. then somewhere in the middle, he looked up at me and asked: ze Doozers, what do zey look like?
So i said, well they're little 6-inch tall creatures with construction hats and toolbelts--
I KNOW ZEM! i watched ZIS show! (aw isn't that cute?)
So I asked him which were his favorites and he said Ze Doozers. then he said something about liking them because they worked all the time. (he was 5 years old when he watched this show. what an old fogey. buti na lang he's a cute fogey.) i always saw myself as a fraggle. i'm mokey. if you knew us, you would see it right away.
being able to share this with him was strangely touching. the idea that when we were kids we watched the same thing. did you know, by the way, that when Fraggle Rock was broadcast in different countries, they looked out at different 'workshops' and different 'Doc's? in france, the workshop was a bakery and Sprocket the dog was named Croquette. in England, the fraggles looked out at a Scottish lighthouse-keeper, Sprocket was still Sprocket. now that i know this, i'm very curious to see what Fraggle Rock looked like in the other versions. I'd love to get a hold of a British, French and German episode just so i could listen to how they translated the songs and the dialogue. what a trip...
even though i can honestly say that i didn't know what i was doing when i wrote that children's literature in performance essay, that essay was the most fun to do research on. i went to to the British Library-- the poshest library in the world-- and the British Film Institute Library. I am the laziest person alive when it comes to research but this term, i hit the pavement big time. It was great to visit these places. I'm seriously thinking of going back to the BL for fun. Just think, they're required by law to buy every book that's in print-- which is why you can't browse, you have to look through the database for the books you need and you fill out a request form, then someone from the issue desk goes to the storage building to fetch it for you. Soooo cool. I love libraries. I love sitting in cool quiet rooms with a hundred other people, all working as hard and as quietly as they can. I love looking about, wondering what everyone else is reading. *Oooh, what are you working on? Huh? Huh?* When Jackie and i went to the BL, the guy sitting next to me was trying not to laugh when he saw all the Fraggle Picturebooks I was reading. Jackie's seatmate was just a weirdo who kept staring at her head. Heehee.
well anyway, off i go, back to work. enough relaxation writing. must pump out essay ideas. Work your cares away...dancings for another day!...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home