Books For Filipino Kids
We're rushing to print the books meant for the Library Hub Project that Mike Luz began.
This is a huge deal for the Filipino Children's Literature scene. Let me explain:
The Library Hub Project is about setting up huge warehouses of books all over the Philippines. Poorly funded public schools can go to the warehouses, borrow books in bulk, return them after a given period of time and borrow other books. I think its a fantastic idea-- especially when you consider that libraries and bookstores become frighteningly scarce the farther you go from Manila.
Filipino kids will have access to books. Not just rich Filipino kids, not just ManileƱo kids--we're talking everybody.
***
Filipino kids are hungry for books. (And yes, Filipino kids are hungry, period.)
Last month, my boss sent us a letter she found in the old Tahanan files. It was from a schoolteacher in the Mt. Provinces who's asked us to donate some books for her mission. It was a long heartfelt letter, thanking us for the books, telling us that the kids were so excited to receive them and that they already had favorites among the titles we sent. And along with the letter was a picture of ten schoolchildren lined up outside the schoolhouse, holding up our books, grinning madly from ear to ear.
Ok, I'm not a fool, they could have been just as excited about having their picture taken. But a schoolhouse that started out with only two or three books? That's heartbreaking. And I'm glad we did something about that.
And I'm glad that other people are just as concerned about this as we are. Take the case of Teacher Malou, who's head librarian at Alabang Elementary School. I got a call from her a few weeks ago re: the possiblity of donating some books as prizes for a story-telling contest. To make a long story short, we got along so well that I ended up being one of the judges. It was soooooo cool. (All the boys were bading, I kid you not. It must be something in the water. And the little girl who was my favorite won the grand prize. :) She read from one of my favorite local books pa, Papel de Liha. Heeheehee.)
If you look hard enough, or if you know where to look, you'll find that the situation is not so bleak. There are people out there who are doing their bit for literacy. Radio shows, storytellers, writers, journalists, teachers, librarians, publishers... I hope that in future posts, I'll be able to write about all these incredible people and give credit where credit is due.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home