Geekdom
I took this off the blog of my friend, Luis. I really want to read this book.
Lucky Wander Boy, Weiss:
"A geek is a person, male or female, with an abiding, obsessive, self-effacing, even self-destroying love for something besides status[...]
They may be oppressed by the figures of beauty, and they may be ugly -- but they have the music. While the hedonistic treadmill carries the others through cycles of momentary appeasement and slow, scraping dissatisfaction, the geeks will penetrate deeper and deeper into the music the others cannot hear, its notes independent of the demands of the world that pull people through jobs and parties and bars toward their end. They will hear its forgotten strains and study its evolution in all its branching intricacy, and in the unlikely event of an afterlife they will have their music to carry them, they will never grow tired of it, they will still be going and going and going long after the others have overdosed on the maximum conceivable pleasure and chosen self-extinguishing over the ultimate boredom hangover that follows. Their passion is like a red dwarf star -- it may not burn as hot, but it burns longer. It burns near forever."
Studying Children;s Literature isn't exactly the most practical thing in the world. I've had to defend my choice to practically everyone, myself included. All this while I've been thinking, how am I going to make something out of this year? What will I do after? Is this my abiding, obsessive, self-effacing love? It's a nice thing to think about. After worrying myself to death about ever making any money or ever making anything out of myself, it's nice to think that I don't need that to justify what I'm doing. That learning these things are enough. That loving the act of learning is enough. Wala lang.

1 Comments:
you are so right, there is NO need to justify anything. children's literature is beautiful and it deserves to be learned and studied. what beautiful things we get off luis's blog, no? luvluv!
Post a Comment
<< Home