Goldie and Maisie-Eugenie
Sherry and I went to Tooting to get some tropical fruit for her class tomorrow. On the 270 bus an old gentleman from Guyana chatted us up. He was sitting up front then moved towards us at the back of the bus. You could tell he was used to being the charmer because he kept trying to make jokes with random people. He looks over to me a few times and finally he tells me: Looking at you brings back memories. Your face. The roundness, the chinese eyes. And he fumbles into his inner jacket pocket and takes out a worn and folded, black and white wedding photo. He thinks I look like his dead wife.
The conversation was stop and go-- the way it is when you want to make an instant friendship but don't know what to talk about or how much time you have to talk. I know he's 91. I know he's from Guyana (and that in Guayana "we eat dog like you"). I know that while he and his wife were running restaurants and foodshops, they were getting degrees and certificates for any old thing like dancing and singing and playing instruments.And that he loves music, says it's a balm for the soul and that I need a hobby to keep me sane. I know he thinks it's good that I'm getting an education and that I should keep getting more "so that no man can own [me]." I know his 6 children don't visit him unless they need money. I know he's been a widower for 5 years and he misses Maisie (who was an Aries-- he's a Leo). Their lucky number was 6.
I have a soft spot for old gentlemen. They remind me of my Lolo and they make me think of my Papa and they make me wonder how Benoit will be when I'm gone.
During a lull in the conversation, Goldie says to me: I wont be able to eat dinner tonight.
When I ask him why he says: I'm full. I'm full from looking at your beauty. I will dream of you tonight, I'll dream that I married you.
Cheeky old flirt. If it it came from a younger man, something like this would sound creepy and corny. But when it comes from a 91 year old widower who thinks you look like the love of his life, it's only (a bit embarassing and) rather sweet and heartbreaking.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home