Thursday, January 12, 2006

Picturebook Doo-lalleeee

We met at 3PM and closed session at around 7PM. At then end, Conrad put his lovely fingers lightly against his temples and said: HINDI NA TALAGA UMAANDAR AND UTAK KO. Good thing he said so because I was thinking exactly the same thing. After 4 hours of sketching and brainstorming, even love is not enough.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. We found a spot in the topfloor Starbucks of Shangri-la Mall. It's nice and secluded but you're treated to this lovely view of industrial rooftops. Conrad and I oohed and aahed over my children's books, he got a few ideas from them that he might be using in *** and then he showed me his stuff.

Conrad is good. He's young and he has lots of room to grow, but at this stage he already has a well-developed sense of humour, a passion for exploring new styles but a strong snese of what HE wants in a picture. He's also very receptive to other people's ideas, which makes him a joy to work with.

He seems to favour rough, unstructured drawings. Figures that aren't visually perfect, but manage to capture movement in a few strokes. Very Quentin Blake, but also with a touch of Gary Baseman. I wish I could post something he's done-- he had this really funny illustration of a fish getting a haircut from a slightly malicious looking siokoy. I know, it doesn't translate into words.

It's a good job. It's a good life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home