Spunky Brewster
I have a new gal pal. I think she's ten. She is way cool.
My dad's friend brought his grandkids over last Saturday. Miguel is a self-proclaimed geek. Iana is the kind of girl I'd like to give birth to.
She reminded me of every spunky, lovably imperfect character I grew up loving. Anastacia Krupnik anyone? Harriet the Spy? Claudia from the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basile E.F.?
Girls rock. If I have to go preggers I want my womb to be patita-proof. Only quick-witted, smart-mouthed, but warm-hearted girls who wear glasses, please.
She first charmed me with her DS. Sitting next to me at lunch she looked very serious, writing something very carefully with her stylus. Then she surreptitiously edged the gadget towards me. (So this is how children pass notes these days. Our ways were more subtle.)
On the screen was written in big block letters: HI.
We didn't have anything like this in my day. So I sort of…squeeled. She seemed really pleased (and amused) that I was so enamored of her gadget. She patiently explained (the way a kindly city mouse would to a clueless promdi mouse) that it was made by a company called 'Nintendo'. She seemed a little impressed that I knew what Nintendo was.
Later on she was scribbling again. When she slid the DS over it said:
HOW OLD ARE YOU?
DO YOU HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE?
I took the stylus and wrote:
30
no driver's license :)
***
Later on I took my phone out to send a text message. She leaned over conspiratorially and whispered: You text really fast! I was watching you in the car…
•••
When the meal was over, the kids and I retired to the couch to digest and vegetate. Her Kongkong and my Papa were talking in a mad mix of Fukienese and Ilonggo in ever increasing volume. She was watching them with bright eyes and a wide lazy smile. And she said: I can see now why we needed to get a private room….
Her parents shot her the look of death. I was half-off my seat from laughing.
When we were on our way home from the restaurant, Papa's cellphone rang. He spoke a little Chinese, laughed a bit, and handed it to me. Iana wants your email address. Ohohoho.
Tama ba na nakilig ako? Gadz.
She emailed me this afternoon:
How are you? Did you watch Charlie the Unicorn yet? Well, email me at -----. Bye!
Iana G.
P.S. It kind of feels awkward sending a message to a 30-year-old woman, though you look like you're only 16 or 17. (It still feels awkward...)
Ah, Iana. The way to my heart is to ignore my wrinkles. I have a feeling that we shall be great friends.
*patita- a term coined by my best friend Therese to denote girls who are, erm, merely decorative

12 Comments:
Aww... :-)
diba? awww talaga!
it makes me wanna throw a slumber party.
What's a DS? It sounds cool.
ehem, it's a Double Screen. Mukha siyang siyang Blackberry na pambata. You can write notes in it, send notes to other people who have a DS, load and play games and music…
This is just the cutest anecdote ever!!!
may pahabol ang bago kong best friend:
P.S. I think you are still 16 or 17 by the way you use your phone... And other reasons...
sobra akong natutuwa. as in.
I guess she thinks only teenagers are cellphone-addicted. That's marketing, for ya. ;-)
shooo cute! being your best friend, i'd be jealous if she didn't remind me so much of dootsie in love, stargirl :) aymishyu pookie :(
si Babes naman… ;) aymishyu too
…when are you planning to leave the love shack for air? hee hee…
oh and ian has already told me: she sounds like a really cool kid. but if she gets in between us, she's going down…
to which i replied: no! don't you DARE sit on her
to which he replied: no one gets in between me and my hag…
"to which i replied: no! don't you DARE sit on her"
HAHAHAHA!!! Or he could tempt her with poisoned ice cream... ;-D
Hey, why didn't Ian go to the "Temptation Island" showing?
we were supposed to go together but we got word na baka di matuloy.
so he and his lovey-doves canceled and it was too late to get him when the show was confirmed. :(
but methinks he will go if DARNA pushes through. maybe i can make him a costume…
Post a Comment
<< Home