Wednesday, June 11, 2008

This old house, on this old street…. Another book I wish I could make.

Our printer in Quezon City operates from a large pre-war house tucked away in San Francisco del Monte. The ground floor was completely converted to house the offices, the machines, and the pre-press and post-production processes; but the structure still has the old facade with the original grillwork in place. The second floor makes you feel as if you've stepped into a black-and-white movie on RPN-9. Colorized ofcourse. The wood is dark and the walls are green. (And there's something to this old-world cinema feeling because before it was an imprenta, the house was a movie studio where Fernando 'The Oblation' Poe, Sr. worked.)

On the way home I spotted another sleeping beauty on Quezon Avenue. It was a beautiful, white mansion (it seemed big enough to be one) flanked by stores and signages and whatnots. If I hadn't been looking closely, I'd never have known it was there.

After seeing 'Sleeping Beauty' I got another idea for a book. It might be too expensive to print so I might pitch it to an artist/architect as an urban stories exhibit for children.

The city is full of gorgeousness. (And awesomeness! And attractiveness!) But touring Manila can be like rummaging though a junkshop. If you aren't looking for anything beautiful, how will you find it? And if you can't imagine how a thing can look after the old spit and polish, you might leave it for someone else to find (or destroy).

I want a book that shows children how to look for beauty in the city. A book that helps them peel the layers to find the stories that take place as a neighborhood ages.

Jeannie Baker did something similar with Window, a wordless picture book that tells a story by showing how the view from the one window changes from wilderness to city.



In another picture book called Home, Baker tells a story about how a growing community transforms their grim, gray urban neighborhood into a safe and nurturing place.

This is my idea. Take a street like Quezon Avenue, San Francisco del Monte, Manila,  New Manila, etc. where old structures and new structures are scrunched up together and render that street in layers.

(You know how encyclopedias show the human body in layers of acetate? First we have the skeletal system, then the respiratory system, then the circulatory system, and so on till you have the body.)

I want each layer of that street to stand for a layer of history. We start with the oldest parts of the neighborhood, each succeeding acetate is another year or another decade (we'll figure out the nitty-gritty when we've picked a street and gathered materials), and another, and another till we have the current neighborhood.

You could even pencil in characters that support the story through the layers. Though this might clutter the design.

Mind you, I'm not trying to glorify the old and vilify the new. I don't want some nostalgic boohoo over what-was-once-and-can-never-be because I also believe that there is beauty in the mess. And there is beauty as people build new lives around the old. I'd like each layer to capture the energy and the humor and the innovation that goes on. But I'd also like people to be able to peel back these layers to see each phase of history on its own terms. It could be a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I'm still uncertain as to what materials we could use. Photographs? Cityplans? Blueprints? Sketches? A little mix of eveything? It really depends on the partner/s I end up with. So.

Does anyone want to partner up? I could do research (because I like nerdy thtuff like that) and provide emotional and creative support. Wag lang financial support because on my own I am poor and this is not a Tahanan project. Fun lang siya. Gawa tayo tapos bahala na si Batman kung patulan tayo ng publisher.

Which probably means that whoever I end up with:
doesn't need the money
has a lot of time
OR loves this idea so much that s/he will make time

If yer interested, lemme know. Because I don't think I can do this alone.

Flan





Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Pippo Bengzon said...

That is one of the most interesting ideas I've heard in a long time. Super cool! When I was a kid I used to love those old encyclopedias with the acetates that you could peel back layer by layer. I would have loved to have one of these. I still would :)

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Hanah Faraon said...

This is the kind of project I wouldn't pass up on if I was in Manila. Good luck, Fran :)

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Augie Rivera said...

great idea, fran! i can also see it as a TV special! I'll PM you. :-)

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Alexie F. Mercado said...

Excellent idea! Call me :D

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

When it's done, especially if I can't find a publisher, I may look into print-on-demand options.
And I weel geeft it to you one Christmas!

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Lala Gallardo-Samson said...

ahem!

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm planning to read up on old Alcazaren newspaper columns for research n inspiration muna.
And I need to pick a street to focus on. :D Will keep ye posted!

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

Salamat! Gusto mo tulungan muna tayo sa TV show?
Alam mo, magandang animated short piece din 'to….

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

oh so much love! you know i could work with several people on different street books… it could be a series! :P
hahaha ambisyosa no?

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous bugsy del rosario said...

fantastic idea frannie!, count me in, may be we can pitch it to the jesuits like fr. rene!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous nyel o'yek said...

hey fran! this made me think of a building in pantranco, also along quezon ave., which i've always thought interesting. sadly before i left it's being turned into another motel sogo branch. boohoo.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Katrina * said...

Fran, what a BRILLIANT idea! It's so rich with possibilities! You could do a children's book, an accompanying TV show, even a tour. Speaking of which, I think it would be fabulous if you could partner with Carlos Celdran on this. He's very much into history and preservation of old structures, and not to mention, appreciating the city's hidden gems. Plus, his wife Tesa's a teacher, so her input on children could be helpful, too.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

it was turned into a motel?!? anubeh naman.

i was also considering one of the old movie theaters in Manila. some of that stuff was National Artist work too…. :)

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

What an awesome suggestion Kat! I actually met Carlos a year ago. We were toying with the idea of putting out a city guide for Manila but he deicded to do it on his own na ata. I would love to see how different artists handle this project. Ang daming city spots na puwede. :P

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Katrina * said...

A friend of mine recently saw an old movie theater in Quiapo that she could see was still beautiful, but unfortunately, now decrepit and turned into a porn moviehouse. Needless to say, it has lost most of its old glory. Nevertheless, she was blown away by what remained. I hope someone with deep pockets and an even deeper reverence for beauty and history could restore it, before it goes the way of too many of these glorious old buildings.

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

Could you ask her what the name of the theater is? And what street in Quiapo it's on? I'd like to see it too.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous nyel o'yek said...

why not start with just one building? :) i'm thinking of the old Luneta Hotel which used to be really beautiful. i hear it's currently being restored. hey, couldn't this be a tahanan storybook? :p kahit illustrated lang and simple narration. it would teach kids the value of taking care of objects/preserving what-nots. maganda rin yung old LVN studio in cubao. ang exciting ng idea (the book/s + possible exhibit). i love it!

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

Yes! That's exactly what I've been thinking. One building, one portion of an old street. I would love for it to be a Tahanan book but I don't want to compromise on the layered design. And it will probably cost an arm and a leg to mass produce.

I'll check out the old Luneta Hotel. That sounds gorgeous. I found some really interesting photographs of buildings in Divisoria and Cubao on Mark Salvatus' blog.
I passed the old LVN studio thr night I came home from the printers. Parang empty lot na lang siya. : (

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous nyel o'yek said...

ay talaga? wala na yung mga fountain, et. al.? ang sad.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

well, it was dark and we were just outside the compound…. i could be wrong :)

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Katrina * said...

My friend said that it's the Times Theater, on Avenida. Sayang daw talaga 'cause she could tell even without entering that it used to be awesome. She wanted to pay for a ticket and enter, but was apprehensive because, as I mentioned, it's now a porn theater...you can just imagine!

I told her about your idea, and she thought it was wonderful, too! In fact, she said she'd love to help in whatever way what she can -- she has, for instance, pictures you might be able to use. When (notice I didn't say "if") this project gets off the ground and you want some help, lemme know and I'll hook you guys up. :-)

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

hook us up! i don't know where to start but I'm willing to meet anyone and everyone who wants to work on it with me. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home