Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Children...mmmrrrrr... :)

This morning, we brought Barbara-Ann Gamboa Lewis to British School Manila so she could talk to a group of children (Yrs. 4-6).
I was afraid of spoiled, jaded children. I was afraid of kids who didn't like to read, of kids who would think it was 'uncool' to participate, or worse-- I was afraid of rude children. But today, I met no monsters.
We never expected it to turn out so well. The morning we arrived, Becky Lyons the Reading Coordinator immediately handed me a list of kids who had paid for a copy of the book in advance. 25 copies, plus her copy, plus 5 copies for the library. It was a very promising start. Monica Lindfield, a parent volunteer who was our contact person was telling me in advance-- you will love the children here. They've got something special, they're just so enthusiastic. You'll see. And I did.
Now let me say that I was a private school kid so I can tell when kids are sucking up. And I can tell when they're 'being polite.' I can also tell when you're so excited that it bubbles up then whooshes out of you like a geyser. Suffice to say there were a lot of geysers this morning. When the children started filing into the library after recess, you could tell they were excited. Maybe it was partly because they were going to miss regular class, partly because this was 'something new'. I could hear them whispering out the name of the book as they read it from the stand... Barefoot in Fire. Then they hissed at each other: Cooooool. And a few of them headed straight for my table and bought a copy of the book. One little girl had an envelope neatly marked P300 Stephanie. Two other girls asked if I was going to be there again tomorrow because they didn't bring money that day.
A little boy who could barely look at me from across the table said: How much is the book?
Me: P295
Little boy with a slightly worried look on his face: Where can I find it if you won't be here tomorrow?
Me: You can ask your teacher.
Little boy turns quickly to Becky: Where can I find the book?!!?
Becky: In National, Powerbooks, all the bookstores...
Little Boy: BUT WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THAT IS!
Becky: You can buy a copy from me tomorrow. She's leaving us a few copies and we'll send her the money next week.
Little boy whose worried look is betraying near-hysteria: But I'm not allowed to bring money to school...

When Barbara began to talk and ask questions, I never saw so many hands up in the air, so many little voices going 'Oh me! Me! Meeeeeeee! I know I know I know!' What books have you read lately? King Arthur! Anne Frank! Narnia! ... When did World War 2 begin? 1939! ... Who was the president? Sergio OsmeƱa... no! Manuel Quezon THE FIRST.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Do your parents ever tell you you're perfect? And Monica's son raises his hand and nods at his Mother. Cheeky monkey.

When the talk was over, so many kids came over to get paper for autographs (some even took my calling cards, hmf! I suppose I should be amused that they prefer good quality paper.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On our way out, a handsome little Ginger-Haired boy tried to get Barbara's attention.
Miss...Miss? Excuse me. Thank you for coming to talk to us.
He looked so serious, so earnest. (I wanted to bring him home and nibble him, itty bit by itty bit.) Yes, I am a sucker for well-brought up, well-behaved children. And it helps when they resemble Prince William (the early years.)

Bless 'em.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger joelle said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! *gigil*

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger fran said...

hahaha, asteeeeeg!

i am the biggest perv on the planet, actually. *hangs head in shame* one of things i miss most about England is riding the bus with cheeky little gentlemen in their school kits. *teehee*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home