Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Behind the Old Aparador

as her eyes adjusted to the gloom…


story by Cyan Abad-Jugo
illustration by Lala Gallardo

The first time I read this I said mmm… then oh—
shivered a little, wiped my eyes, then sighed with relief.
Two years after, I still feel that way.

When we started to put this book together Lala and Waya Gallardo had just won the Gaiman prize for comics and I knew that I needed Lala to illustrate for GL2 (that was our code for Night Monkeys before we settled on a title).

We gave her two options, Aparador (which felt perfect for her) and Peace Crane (only because I knew that she was a geek for WW2). She chose Aparador and when she emailed the studies I was over the moon. They were beautiful and unexpected. And the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you've made a good match (between writer-illustrator) is immeasurable.

Last week I went over the story one more (no one more, no, just one more) time to check for typos and inconsistencies and I approved the digital-proofs for the illustration. I just have to pray that I didn't miss anything; that nothing goes wrong with the plating; that the colors on press are right. That everything is just-so.


 

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous DidipusRex the First said...

hu waaaw!

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

asteeg ng asawa mo ;)

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Bonsai Fojas said...

ang ganda! clap clap clap!

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous ene ^_^ said...

you know how small my world is? cyan abad is my classmate from UPIS. lala is... well, fantastic (not because she is my friend). i buy this book ha.

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

liit nga ng mundo. i really wish you could go to the launch para may reunion kayo. :p

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous ene ^_^ said...

di ako aabot eh... i get off at 6pm earliest and coding ako pag friday... wait, is it this friday? lola is lost.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous waya gallardo said...

i must buy!!!!! i want!!!

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

June 30 pa yung launch : ) wheeeeeeee

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

yes please! buy my baby! heehee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home