Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Bargain for Frances

A Bargain for Frances
by Russel Hoban
pictures by Lillian Hoban

Shirley, Therese, and I were at the Booksale in Cherry Fooderama when I found this. I liked Russel Hoban's The Mouse and His Child plus I get a kick out of books that use my name.

I once had a Carebear storybook called A Friend for Frances. Natuwa naman ako. Babaw.


This book is for any girl who spent her formative years in an all-girl's school. (And no, Povedans, I'm not talking about L-day.)

Hoban is an excellent writer who deals with the emotional plane and the politics of childhood. This book is an easy-reader with complicated content. You're never too young to think this thought or feel that way. You're just too young, too new to have the words.

A Bargain…
is a book about 'friends'. Frances has been saving up for a tea set made of real blue china. And is swindled by Thelma into buying her red plastic tea set because "they don't make that kind anymore […]Some girls never get tea sets. So maybe you won't get one."


-Don't listen to her Frances! Don't believe that snake Thelma!
—Fran? Who are you talking to?
-Oh, er...ehe. Good book, this.

You'll grow cold as Frances discovers Thelma buying the blue china tea set (the kind they didn't make anymore, the set she'd probably never get) with her money. 

And you'll feel the warm glow of justice (and retribution, bitches!) as Frances coolly gets her own back.

This is a book you need to read because it's about manipulative children. It's unsettling for most people. But for some it will sound familiar. And feel empowe
ring. 

Hoban has a whole series on Frances. Best Friends for…, Bedtime for…, A Baby Sister for…, A Birthday for…, B
read and Jam for…, Egg Thoughts and Other Frances Songs (poems)…

I haven't read them all but I expect they're good. :)






Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous chockwit me yes me said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! Go Frances! I mean, go you. :) I have a pic of you holding the book! Will send it. *toddles off*

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Fran Ong said...

Thanks Hon! I added it to the post. Color-coordinated pala ang shirt at ang libro.
Would you like a tea set, Luv? Or a Sanrio lunchbox...? hehehe

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous A. M. said...

Paheram :)

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Luis Katigbak said...

That's a good Book Sale branch. :) Love the picture of you with the book, too! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home