kai shao
I don't even know if I spelled that correctly. It's a fukienese term which I've managed to dodge all these years of being single and viable. When I asked Papa what that was, he smiled and said it meant "to introduce." To kai shao is to introduce with the intent to matchmake.
The moment my aunt heard that Benoit and I had decided to end it, she said "Oh then we must be on the look out for Frances!" (For the record, even when Benoit and I were together she was always "on the look-out" for me.) I don't mind really. It might be interesting to subject myself to this feudal throwback. If it works out, I might get a few nice dates. If not, at least I can write about it.
However, I doubt she'll find anyone for me. My standards aside, I don't really fit the mold for ideal Fil-Chi bride. First of all, I'm a mongrel (half-half), with a tiny nose, and as tan as they come. Second, I don't speak a word of Fukienese or Mandarin, save for counting up to ten and the mandatory ni hao ma. Third, I didn't go to ICA, St. Jude, Grace Christian... It will be amusing to see what she comes up with.
Wa kung ah

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home